Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quotables: Round 1 Pressers


Q.  Do you think it's unfortunate that it's been played out as a split between the game's two biggest figures basically?  ANDY RODDICK:  Well, if you guys reported the facts, the issues, it wouldn't be as exciting as Rafa and Roger.  Those guys have been the model of a respectful rivalry in sports.  So for it to be represented any differently is unfortunate.
Like I said, same fundamental problems, same end goal, difference of opinions on how to get there, which is fine.  There's going to be that.  We're going to have to kind of negotiate through that to get anything done.
But the last thing I worry about is Roger and Rafa getting along.  I mean, they've been great throughout the years.  So, you know, I think this is all new territory for us.  I think, if anything, it probably taught us that we have to choose our words very wisely right now when talking about it, because it is a sensitive issue.  
Q.  What do you tell your fans when they ask, What happened in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne?  SAMANTHA STOSUR:  Well, I don't know.  I mean, it's hard.  It's not through lack of trying or not wanting it or anything like that.  I mean, you can't pick the times that you want to play well.
Of course, I wanted to do very well here.  You want it to come right now.  I'm thankful that everyone was behind me.  I'm sure they will stay behind me.
That's sport.  Unfortunately you can't pick and choose when it's all going to happen for you.  
  
Q.  Your thoughts on the match?
            PETRA KVITOVA:  Well, after slow beginning it was fine.  Yeah, I think that I can improve for sure my serve.
            But, you know, it looks easy, the score, but it wasn't.  The games, some was very close.  And, yeah, I'm glad that I'm through.

            Q.  Did you find it hard to shake her in some of those close ones?
            PETRA KVITOVA:  No, I didn't feel any shakers [sic]. 


Q.  He said you've got one view and the others have got something else.  ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I think that's normal.  We can't always agree on everything.  So far it's always been no problem really.  Back in the day he used to say, Whatever Roger decides, I'm fine with.
Today he's much more grown up.  He has a strong opinion himself, which I think is great.  It's what we need, especially on the council.  It's been nice working with him.
That he has a strong opinion also creates sometimes good arguments about where you want to move the sport forward to.
You know, we talked about that in London after we played at midnight before, I don't know, my semifinal match.  We called each other after Davis Cup, and then we met again here.
So we're always constantly trying to get on the same page, or at least talking about it, so we can do the best for the sport.  That's at the end of the day both our goals.  

I advise all of you.  You can try hard, but I gonna talk about tennis.  If I am here two weeks, if I am here two days, I gonna have less work.
 
THE MODERATOR:  Any more questions?
RAFAEL NADAL:  After that...  You are only interested in that, not the tennis (smiling).   

Pressers can be found here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment